Quote of the Day

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

So What if Big Brother is Watching?

Red light cameras, car speed signs, illegal parking technology - people are really getting riled up these days about the intrusion of Big Brother in their day-to-day lives.  Now, I'm all for liberty and a life free from prying eyes and unreasonable restrictions on personal choices.  Theoretically, I'd really like to be on board with all of this rah-rah individual freedom chanting.  But when it comes down to it, logically and practically - I can't be on your side if you're basically bitching about getting caught doing something you know is wrong.

"I got a red light ticket - friggin' Big Brother all up in my life.  It's not fair.  Leave me alone!"  "Did you go through the red light?"  "Well, yeah but that's not the point!"  "Um, okay."

I'm doing my best to understand people's point of view on this, but it seems as though the complaining is coming from those who have either gotten caught or are concerned about being caught.  That's like when my kids think if they do something they're not supposed to be doing where I can't see them, it should be okay. (“But Mom you weren’t even there when I ate the six cupcakes!” What's the big deal?).  People will raise the issue as though it is on par with something like denying freedom of speech, passionately declaring "aren't you worried about them taking your picture?  your rights as a person?"  Um, no to the former since I don't run red lights or speed in school zones so I don’t see any of these pictures in my future.  Yes to the latter - I'm worried about my right to be driving and not be broadsided by some schmuck zooming through a red light or my kids' right to walk safely by their school.  As for the parking technology, I really applaud that one.  Let the cops go catch dangerous bad guys in person and let some computer figure out when someone is too lazy or their time too important to walk from a block away to get a coffee so they leave their car where it is not supposed to be “just for a minute.” 

 I had a really good reason for parking right below that very visible "no parking any time" sign. 
The spots without the signs were very, very far away from where I wanted to be.

My other favorite anti-light camera argument is how it increases rear-end crashes.  Is that so?  Well maybe the person behind you shouldn't have been planning on running that red light too or just following you so closely in general.  The rear-end is the most avoidable accident on the planet and there is no way I'm letting it be a valid point for anything.

As for the "they're only doing it for the revenue" argument - I say go for it.  I am all for raising revenue from people running red lights, speeding and parking illegally – again, doing things they are not supposed to be doing.  They’re not walking up to random people just taking money.  That would be wrong.   Hell, they raise revenue from me by taxing me for simply living legally in my home in my town.  I’d like them to do less of that income through taxes on regular, law abiding things like owning a home, shopping and just existing and more from this law breaking.  Let it come from someone doing some shit they're not supposed to be doing. If you don’t want to pay for it, don’t do it.  I can't take a dress I like from the store as long as the salespeople aren't looking.  A little thing called an alarm will go off.  Are you against those too?  You really should be if you want to be consistent in your ideology. 

So let's just give all of this freedom loving, rights hugging, revenue is bad bullshit a rest when it comes to technology for traffic violations.  Just admit it - you're pissed your’re going to get caught doing some shit you’re not supposed to be doing.  I don't get it - but my kids probably do.  Of course, they still have time to grow up.


No comments:

Post a Comment