Quote of the Day

Sunday, February 10, 2013

I'm not impressed with a glowing dress...

So once the Walking Dead finished I switched over to the Grammy's. Ironically most nights I don't watch anything and tonight there were two things I wanted to see. Of course the Dead won since last season left me hanging and I needed to know what happened next, while I was only looking to catch a few performances on the Grammy's (don't care much about the awards with what they award these days but they still get some good live performances ). I got a few seconds of the Black Keys (will google around tomorrow to try to get the whole thing), Bruno Mars and Jack White so that was all good.

Meanwhile, the teasers for still to come performances kept promising me that Carrie Underwood was going to stun the audience with something they'd never seen before. I was a little surprised that they could say this about a live performance that hadn't yet happened and also doubtful that I would enjoy it (still scarred by a Nicki Minaj atrocity that also promised the never before seen and quite frankly should have stayed that way). But I'm a music gal so I stayed tuned hoping for the best and then there was Carrie.

I'll admit my first thought was that I did not like her dress (I know, catty but there you are). It was just so big and white. Was she getting married onstage? Little did I know it was like that because it was in fact a giant screen (I knew it was an awful dress!). Giant light figures and drawings started to flash across her dress. Yes, the thing I had never seen before in a musical performance was literally that - something to be seen.

I was not impressed to say the least. As I said I'm a music gal - why do I want to see pictures on a dress while someone is singing? And why is it Carrie that should be given the credit for impressing me? If I were impressed (which I wasn't) it would be with the light guys. The only thing she did was not move so they didn't miss her with the giant peacock and roses and other crap they drew on her. It was like a grown-up version of lite-brite on a dress. But I'm watching a music show! If I want to see poor drawings in lights I'll - well I'll play lite-brite with my kids.

I would say it was the most awful thing of the night - but then Frank Ocean (don't know his music but like Rihanna Chris Brown beat him up) sang at a glass podium about running while a background made it look like - wait for it - his lower half was running.

Music people - the Grammy's are supposed to be about music. Not pictures on dresses and fake running.


No comments:

Post a Comment