Raising children in this day and age is challenging. So many things going on in the world and in their lives - how to talk to them, set boundaries, when to say yes, when to stick with no, when to talk about sex, drugs - my god the list is endless. And I laugh at every one of those things because I think they will be cake compared to my nemesis - technology.
No, not office stuff like the internet and word and excel and powerpoint. I own those. I can either do it or figure out how or figure out how to get around it. I am talking games (like Nintendo DS and the Wii), tech toys (like a fidget friend), phones (ask my friend how she had to help me do an emoticon) and the Itouch. There are few things in this world that make me feel "not smart" and along with physics, calculus and car mechanics these things complete the list. There has yet to be one of these friggin items that enters my home or my life that does not slay me in trying to set it up or figure out how to use it. My kids may be some of the least adept at video games ever (it also doesn't help that I get bored within about 2 minutes of starting to play).
In fact I can't even spell them - and if I can't spell it then you know it's game over (if the Terminator or Matrix movies ever come true don't count on me to help save the world unless there is a book which needs to be read to find the secret to defeating whatever needs to be defeated).
The Itouch is the latest and perhaps the greatest. It was a used one from my brother and I had to switch it to Shayna for messaging (that's all your getting from me - I don't know how else to explain it). You would think that my techno savvy brother who owned the damn thing along with every gadget known to man-geek could have helped - but for some reason his abilities stop when it comes to actually helping someone else do something (or perhaps just helping me - my lack of patience and, um somewhat authoritative manner, don't bring out the best in him). Either way he was no...help...whatsoever.
I finally got it done so I guess I beat it after all. But it was torture every step of the way and I am afraid of what is coming down the pike. Yeah, bring on the sex and the drugs and the angst - just save me from anything that has a power switch, a user name or a control box.
No comments:
Post a Comment