- A guy holding his hand up to find a cab heading north wandering out into the middle of the street, not even noticing that he was about to be mowed down by the cars heading east from across the street who just got the light. As always, looking to be kind and helpful I called out "hey, you're about to be hit by a car!" He looked, stepped back, safe from danger, and then gave me a dirty look. Seriously, no one says thank you anymore for anything. Now, if I had been single in a standard issue rom-com I would have tackled him out of the way of a truck and found, after 90 minutes of missed opportunities, misunderstandings and other freewheeling complications (I understand there is a list of 20 rom-com screenwriters choose from), the love of my life.
- In addition to cab guy, I also saw at least four people talking or texting on their phones pay no attention whatsoever to the lights and walk into the street in front of traffic. Lucky for them the drivers were paying attention and honked (just honked - no slowing down or stopping - this is New York after all). Is it wrong that if any of them had gotten hit I probably would have gone to the driver first to tell them it's okay, it wasn't their fault?
- A guy get out of a cab and then unfold a tricycle. Yes, a tricycle. Perhaps a little bigger than your standard toddler issue one, and a sleek black and grey color (cool) but still the standard seat, three wheels and handlebars (and no it wasn't one of those big recumbent bikes - it was a *tricycle*). His nose area was covered by a giant bandage so I assume it was to help him get around for health reasons (why did he need transportation for an apparent nose injury? I don't know). I am thinking that I witnessed the next generation of sick person travel vehicles and I am for it. I suspect it will lend them the speed of the scooter with a much smaller carbon footprint - all while providing a daily cardio workout.
- A guy running in shorts and a tank top. I do not know the exact temperature but it couldn't have been more than 40 degrees. I thought he was an idiot and that's all I have to say.
- A bike rider traveling the wrong way and through a red light in the bike lane nearly hit me. Actually, this is pretty much a daily occurance (sometimes more than once in the same day) and there is most definitely a blog percolating on what I think about bike riders in the city, particularly since they were given bike lanes to make *them* safer. It will not be filled with kind thoughts.
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Come, Take a Walk With Me...
Ah, the things I see on my morning walk from the train to work, all within a 20 minute span (I don't see as much on my way uptown in the evening since I tend to be rushing a bit more and can't really take the time to enjoy the sights). Let me share with you some of the sights of just this morning:
Labels:
commuting,
pet peeves
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very funny stuff here, Diane. I am loving your blog!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dez! Really appreciate the support and encouragement!
ReplyDelete